Faculty of Medicine Research Strategy
The Faculty of Medicine Research Strategy is enabling us to support and drive forward research across the Faculty. This strategic approach continues to enhance interdisciplinary collaboration across Imperial and presents a coherent view of our research direction.
Implementation of the Faculty's Research Strategy has driven planning, resource allocation and recruitment at a Faculty level in a way that delivers the strongest possible support for strategic research directions.
In June 2008 the UK government published a report, High quality care for all, which sets out its vision for the NHS over the next ten years. It included a commitment to develop a number of AHSCs in England, with the purpose of taking new discoveries and promoting their application in the NHS and across the world. An academic health science centre (AHSC) is a partnership between a healthcare provider and a university. Imperial College London and Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust formed a unique partnership and together they became the UK's first AHSC.
The Faculty of Medicine has the following strategic objectives:
- Create synergy between Imperial’s strengths in science, medicine, technology and business
- Support and sustain research of the highest calibre and value
- Catalyse the translation of research into advances in clinical practice
- Strengthen the culture of national and international collaboration
- Train future generations of medical scientists
- Foster a close partnership between Imperial College and the NHS
Strategic activity in the Faculty of Medicine aims to:
- identify future areas of research focus and development
- encourage collaboration and communication within the Faculty of Medicine and between Imperial Faculties
- identify opportunities for national and international research collaboration
- interface with the Graduate School
Clinical research, which drives the translation of research from the laboratory to advances in health delivery, is integral to the research strategy. Clinical Research flows across all of the strategic research areas as a key element of research effort and focus.