Spotlight On: Weekend Mortality
Several studies have identified higher mortality for patients admitted as emergencies at the weekend compared with emergency admissions during the week.
Spotlight on: Hospital mortality following the junior doctor changeover in August
We have carried out a follow-up analysis re-examining the previous killing season paper (including more recent data) on the effect of the junior doctor changeover in August.
Our latest high-profile research paper was published in the BMJ in May 2013 and received widespread media attention. Our news page has further information on key Dr Foster Unit research.
Day of week of procedure and 30 day mortality for elective surgery: retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics. BMJ. 346:f2424. (May 2013)
• Strengths and weaknesses of hospital standardised mortality ratios Bottle A; Jarman B; Aylin A. BMJ: British Medical Journal. 342:c7116. (2010)
• Use of administrative data or clinical databases as predictors of risk of death in hospital: comparison of models. Aylin P, Bottle A. BMJ. 334:1044-1044. (May 2007)
• Mortality associated with delay in operation after hip fracture. Bottle A, Aylin P.BMJ 2006;332:947-951.
• Comparing outcomes in laparoscopic and open elective colonic and rectal resection. Faiz O, Warusavitarne J, Bottle A, Tekkis PP, Darzi AW, Kennedy RH. Dis Colon Rectum. 52:1695-1704. (Oct 2009)
• Identifying patients at high risk of emergency hospital admissions. Bottle A, Aylin P, Majeed A. JR Soc Med, Aug 2006; 99:406-414.
• Assessment of paediatric cardiac surgical mortality in England after Bristol. Aylin P, Bottle B, Jarman B, Elliott P. 1991-2002. BMJ 2004;329:825.
• Intelligent Information: a national system for monitoring clinical performance. Bottle A, Aylin P. Health Services Research Feb 2008;43:10-31.
A complete list of our publications can be found on the publication page (last updated September 2013). The most recent publications can be found on the personal pages of the unit’s academic staff.