6th International Course in Nutritional Epidemiology
At a glance...
Dates: 5-16 September 2016
Organising Departments: Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Location: South Kensington Campus
Course Fee: £2450
Application Open: February 2016
Application Deadline: 15 April 2016
Course Directors: Professor Elio Riboli & Professor H. Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita
Course Organiser: Dr Heather Ward
Course Administrator: Dr Clare Berry
This advanced and interactive course aims to give you a solid grounding in the knowledge and skills that are required to work as a nutritional epidemiologist. Participants are expected to have postgraduate level experience in epidemiology.
The course faculty comprises members of world-class reputation from Imperial College London and leading institutions worldwide. There will be ample opportunity throughout the course to interact with the faculty.
The course will consist of lectures, computer tutorials, debates and discussions with experts and a small group assignment, with particular focus on current controversies in the field.
We will place strong emphasis on assessment of exposure (to include diet, body size, and physical activity), methodological considerations in study design, and pertinent statistical issues, including how best to address measurement error and adjust for total energy intake.
You will learn to critically interpret results from nutritional epidemiological studies and evaluate the association between a given nutritional factor and disease. Current priorities in nutritional epidemiology, its future potential and challenges will be discussed. We will also address the translation of scientific findings into nutritional recommendations and policies.
The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) International will award four fellowships to outstanding applicants.
- Professor Elio Riboli, Course Co-Director, Imperial College London
- Professor H. Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita, Course Co-Director, Imperial College London
- Dr Heather Ward, Course Organiser, Imperial College London
- Dr Amanda Cross, Imperial College London
- Professor Ulf Ekelund, Norwegian School of Sport Sciences
- Professor Paul Elliott, Imperial College London
- Professor Majid Ezzati, Imperial College London
- Professor Laurence Freedman, Gertner Institute for Epidemiology, Israel
- Professor Philippe Froguel, Imperial College London
- Professor Gary Frost, Imperial College London
- Professor Tim Lang, City University London
- Dr Mazda Jenab, International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Dr Panagiota Mitrou, World Cancer Research Fund International
- Dr Teresa Norat, Imperial College London
- Dr Jill Reedy, National Cancer Institute, USA
- Dr Amy Subar, National Cancer Institute, USA
- Professor Martin Wiseman, World Cancer Research Fund International