Centre for Neuropsychopharmacology
The Centre for Neuropsychopharmacology conducts pioneering research into neuropsychiatric disorders merging pharmacological approaches with state-of-the-art imaging techniques – PET, MR and MEG. The particular emphasis is on brain disorders such as addiction, dementia and affective disorders. The Centre is multidisciplinary with psychiatrists, cognitive neuroscientists, methodologists and pharmacologists in addition to a range of PhD students.
There are close links with Imanova where the group conduct PET and MR imaging studies and The Cardiff University Brain Research Imaging Centre for MEG and MR. The psychiatrists also work within Central North West London NHS Foundation Trust from which we recruit for our imaging studies.
The current Centre head is Professor David Nutt.
Current areas of Research
- Clark L, Stokes PR, Wu K, Michalczuk R, Benecke A, Watson BJ, Egerton A, Piccini P, Nutt DJ, Bowden-Jones H, Lingford-Hughes AR: Striatal dopamine D₂/D₃ receptor binding in pathological gambling is correlated with mood-related impulsivity. Neuroimage 2012, Oct; 63(1): 40-6
- Myers JF, Rosso L, Watson BJ, Wilson SJ, Kalk NJ, Clementi N, Brooks DJ, Nutt DJ, Turkheimer FE, Lingford-Hughes AR: Characterisation of the contribution of the GABA-benzodiazepine α1 receptor subtype to [(11)C]Ro15-4513 PET images. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism 2012, Apr; 32(4): 731-44
- Watson BJ, Taylor LG, Reid AG, Wilson SJ, Stokes PR, Brooks DJ, Myers JF, Turkheimer FE, Nutt DJ, Lingford-Hughes AR: Investigating expectation and reward in human opioid addiction with [11 C]raclopride PET. Addiction Biology 2013, Jul
- Stokes PR, Benecke A, Myers J, Erritzoe D, Watson BJ, Kalk N, Barros DR, Hammers A, Nutt DJ, Lingford-Hughes AR: History of cigarette smoking is associated with higher limbic GABAA receptor availability. Neuroimage 2013, Apr; 69: 70-7
- Nutt DJ, King LA, Phillips LD: Drug harms in the UK: a multicriteria decision analysis. The Lancet 2010, November; 376(9752): 1558 – 1565
- Carhart-Harris RL, Erritzoe D, Williams T, Stone JM, Reed LJ, Colasanti A, Tyacke RJ, Leech R, Malizia AL, Murphy K, Hobden P, Evans J, Feilding A, Wise RG, Nutt DJ: Neural correlates of the psychedelic state as determined by fMRI studies with psilocybin. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2012, January
- Nash JR, Sargent PA, Rabiner EA, Hood SD, Argyropoulos SV, Potokar JP, Grasby PM, Nutt DJ: Serotonin 5-HT1A receptor binding in people with panic disorder: positron emission tomography study. British Journal of Psychiatry 2008, Sep; 193(3): 229-34
- Daglish MR, Williams TM, Wilson SJ, Taylor LG, Eap CB, Augsburger M, Giroud C, Brooks DJ, Myles JS, Grasby P, Lingford-Hughes AR, Nutt DJ: Brain dopamine response in human opioid addiction. Brain dopamine response in human opioid addiction 2008, Jul; 193(1): 65-72
- Kinali M, Arechavala-Gomeza V, Feng L, Cirak S, Hunt D, Adkin C, Guglieri M, Ashton E, Abbs S, Nihoyannopoulos P, Garralda ME, Rutherford M, McCulley C, Popplewell L, Graham IR, Dickson G, Wood MJ, Wells DJ, Wilton SD, Kole R, Straub V, Bushby K, Sewry C, Morgan JE, Muntoni F: Local restoration of dystrophin expression with the morpholino oligomer AVI-4658 in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: a single-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-escalation, proof-of-concept study. The Lancet Neurology 2009, Oct; 8(10): 918-28
- Kinali M, Arechavala-Gomeza V, Cirak S, Glover A, Guglieri M, Feng L, Hollingsworth KG, Hunt D, Jungbluth H, Roper HP, Quinlivan RM, Gosalakkal JA, Jayawant S, Nadeau A, Hughes-Carre L, Manzur AY, Mercuri E, Morgan JE, Straub V, Bushby K, Sewry C, Rutherford M, Muntoni F: Muscle histology vs MRI in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Neurology 2011, Jan; 76(4): 346-53
- Wijchers PJ, Yandim C, Panousopoulou E, Ahmad M, Harker N, Saveliev A, Burgoyne PS, Festenstein R: Sexual dimorphism in mammalian autosomal gene regulation is determined not only by Sry but by sex chromosome complement as well. Developmental Cell 2010, Sep; 19(3): 477-84
- Chan PK, Torres R, Yandim C, Law PP, Khadayate S, Mauri M, Grosan C, Chapman-Rothe N, Giunti P, Pook M, Festenstein R: Heterochromatinization induced by GAA-repeat hyperexpansion in Friedreich's ataxia can be reduced upon HDAC inhibition by vitamin B3. Human Molecular Genetics 2013, Jul; 22(13): 2662-75
- Guillemette B, Drogaris P, Lin HH, Armstrong H, Hiragami-Hamada K, Imhof A, Bonneil E, Thibault P, Verreault A, Festenstein RJ: H3 lysine 4 is acetylated at active gene promoters and is regulated by H3 lysine 4 methylation. Plos Genetics 2011, Mar; 7(3): e1001354
- Goula AV, Stys A, Chan JP, Trottier Y, Festenstein R, Merienne K: Transcription elongation and tissue-specific somatic CAG instability. Plos Genetics 2012; 8(11): e1003051
- Guo Q, Owen DR, Rabiner EA, Turkheimer FE, Gunn RN: Identifying improved TSPO PET imaging probes through biomathematics: the impact of multiple TSPO binding sites in vivo. Neuroimage 2012, Apr; 60(2): 902-10